The security and performance of Linux have always been praised by developers. You can easily find various advantages of Linux in search engines, including some radical Linux. Especially when you step into the VPS field and get more exposure to Linux, you will feel more powerful about this open source operating system! Although including Micro magic Many people have slowly begun to enjoy the plain text management VPS on the black background of the terminal, but for many people, being able to use Linux on the graphical interface is another enjoyment. This article will simply lead you to install the desktop system Xfce on Linux VPS, and use VNC to use and manage its graphical interface.
Xfce Like KDE and Gnome, it is a visual desktop front-end, which is characterized by smaller resource consumption. According to online comments, the resource occupancy is roughly Xfce<KDE<Gnome. (The specific situation is related to the version, without absolute contrast)
The Linux in this article is CentOS 5, and the Xfce installed is 4.4. The installation of VNC server, Firefox, and Flash player will also be involved. (It has passed the test under BuyVM 256M OpenVZ)
1、 Installing Xfce 4.4
yum groupinstall xfce-4.4
You can also check whether a new version is available through the yum grouplist command, replacing 4.4
2、 Install VNC
yum install vnc vnc-server
Update on March 18, 2013: CentOS 6 uses TigerVNC, so CentOS 6 users should use yum install tigervnc tigervnc server instead of the above command!
3、 Configure VNC
1. Modify the configuration file
Add the following:
VNCSERVERS="1:root" VNCSERVERARGS="-geometry 800x600"
2. Set VNC password
3. Start VNC service (When many friends are using the default desktop VNC of DirectSpace, they encounter the "10061 error" of failing to connect, so they can enter the following command under ssh to solve it!)
4. Modify vnc file
Replace the contents of the file with the following
5. Set vnc permission
chmod +x ~/.vnc/xstartup
6. Restart VNC service
service vncserver restart
7. Set VNC startup
chkconfig vncserver on
4、 System optimization
Update on March 18, 2013: In some minimal systems, even in English, the box may be garbled. Please use this command to correct it: yum - y install fontforge
1. Install Chinese language support (Install Chinese fonts to solve the problem of garbled code when visiting Chinese websites)
yum -y install fonts-chinese
2. Install Firefox browser
yum -y install firefox
3. Install the Firefox flash player plug-in
Restart VPS and use VNC connection (VNC Viewer and other software)
Connection method: your ip: 1
- Use firefox to visit www.adobe.com, click Get Flash Player
- Download rpm package
- Right click the folder where the rpm file is located, enter the terminal (Open Terminal Here), and use rpm - ivh flash plugin - *. rpm to install it.
- Enter about: plugins in the address bar of firefox to check whether the installation is successful~
Because the graphics front-end occupies a large amount of resources (512M or more is appropriate, but it can also be used for emergencies), it is not suitable for production environment~
The content of this article refers to netizens Dark Moon, Blooming Flowers Tutorials for（ View original text ）, Weimo expressed his gratitude to netizens for their knowledge sharing!