What is the earliest and most important mission of dentistry?
It's not to whiten and look good;
It is not inlay or implant;
It's about toothache.
When it comes to toothache, many people's nerves seem to be pricked by a small needle, but if you think about it, it may cause physical and psychological disgust and fear.
Why is toothache so intense?
First of all, pain itself is a kind of invisible and intangible "feeling" formed by the nerve after receiving bad stimulation and transmitting signals to the brain.
And toothache is direct pulp neuralgia, green channel directly to the brain, so the intensity is much higher than general skin trauma.
It is also because of the vulnerability of the pulp nerve, so it is firmly protected by the hard shell of the teeth. On weekdays, the wind can't blow, and the rain can't be drenched. Only occasionally eating hot pot, ice cream and other extreme temperature food can have a slight reaction to remind people not to be scalded or frozen.
Strong fortresses are the easiest to break from within.
Once a tooth has a cavity because of a worm tooth, the barrier protecting the dental pulp begins to have problems. If it is found in time and the hole is not deep, it can be repaired by simple resin filling. However, if the cavity is deeper and deeper, bacteria and toxins in the cavity penetrate into the cavity, infect the pulp, or even directly expose the delicate pulp to external stimulation, the typical toothache will begin, and a more complicated dental journey will follow.
In the past days, due to the limited understanding of the disease, the technical means were limited. For toothache, dentists do not have a good way, many teeth have been pulled out, teeth are pulled out, dental pulp out of the body, naturally also no pain, but the shortcomings of this treatment are obvious.
Later, there were a lot of treatment for dental pulp, isn't the tooth nerve painful? I kill the tooth nerve, don't it hurt? As a result, a lot of treatment with drugs directly acting on dental pulp came into being, with only one purpose: to kill dental pulp. This idea is correct, but although the pulp is dead, the bacteria causing pulp infection still exist, and the necrotic tissue of dental pulp still exists. They continue to ferment in the teeth, and finally spread to the bone around the teeth along the path of tooth nerve growth, resulting in more serious infection and a new round of more difficult to control pain. In the picture below, the yellow and red lumps outside the root of the tooth show this infection.
Now, the idea of how to treat toothache and prevent further toothache is very clear
1. First of all, the pulp should be removed to stop the pain of dental nerve;
2. Then, we should eliminate the infection inside the teeth and kill all the bacteria coming in from the dental cavity;
3. Finally, the roads should be sealed off to prevent the bacteria from spreading into the bones.
In order to achieve the above three points, the contemporary root canal therapy came into being.
Root canal therapy, also known as endodontic treatment, is a kind of operation in dentistry to treat pulp necrosis and root infection. The operation preserves the teeth and is complementary to tooth extraction.
Root canal therapy is generally divided into the following major links:
- First of all, anesthesia, because the next thing to deal with is the nerve, must ensure painless, or it is not treatment, but really a sentence.
- Open the pulp. Remove the upper part of the pulp and expose the pulp. In this process, the dirt in the cavity is removed.
- Root canal preparation. This step takes the longest time and is also the most difficult. The sketch shows that the pulp is very thick. Actually, one root of the tooth nerve in the tooth is not much thicker than the hair. The position of the pulp in the tooth is called the root canal. In order to clean up, the dentist will use many special instruments to clean out the pulp and bacteria inside. Generally, after this step is completed, the pain can be relieved to a certain extent.
- Root canal filling. The nerves have been removed, and the root canal is a veritable "tube" this time. To prevent subsequent infections, dentists use a special glue to seal the root canal from beginning to end. At this time, X-ray again, you can see the teeth have a root of white line, that is the fruit of the dentist's labor.
- Finally, it is often ignored by many patients. Although the teeth after root canal treatment do not hurt, they are in fact very weak. They often need to make a protective cover to wrap the teeth and make a crown. Crown also has an important role, that is to further prevent bacteria from infecting the teeth, which is the key factor to ensure the success of root canal therapy.